We’re hosting one gigantic contest with two separate parts, which means you can enter once, twice… as many times as you like! Help me create a character that will be featured in book #3 of A Pattern of Shadow & Light. You can:
A) Create a name and back story, and if your character idea is the best, s/he will be featured in my upcoming novel AND you’ll win a $100 Amazon gift card.
B) Think up a glorious new magical ability, and you could win a Kindle Fire. Submit as many entries for both as you can think of to increase your chances for winning.
* The most compelling character name and back story wins a $100 Amazon gift card AND a feature of your character in book #3 of the Pattern of Shadow and Light series
* The coolest new magical ability wins a Kindle Fire
* Enter as many times as you’d like in either category by posting a comment below.
The winner will be announced at 5 PM EDT on Saturday, January 5th. Read on for info that might be helpful in crafting your characters and magic abilities.
Behind the magic of Cephrael’s Hand:
I’d like to keep the magical abilities open to your imagination, but knowing just a little about the magic in Cephrael’s Hand might help you devise a winning entry. Here’s what you need to know:
Magic in the realm of Alorin is fueled by the lifeforce known as elae. Elae is divided into five strands, which are basically different aspects of energy. Adepts are men and women born with the ability to work the energy of a particular strand.
1. The first strand is the energy particular to life, that creative spark that fuels growth. It is the energy used by Healers in their ministrations of the sick and injured. It is the energy used to increase longevity in those who work the Pattern of Life to attain immortality. The first strand is also associated with Seers, who tap into this creative source to see choices further down the path of time.
2. The second strand is kinetic energy. This is the energy that fuels and channels through the pattern of the world itself. It is used by Nodefinders to travel on the pattern of the world, connecting far distant places with a single step. It can be created by putting certain items in motion, but it is difficult to harness when made that way. This is also the energy associated with dreams, and some Nodefinders are also Dreamwalkers.
3. The third strand comprises a variant energy which is known primarily for the strange traits it bestows upon Adepts born to this strand. Wildlings, they are called, and they are known to have a wide range of abilities (sometimes more than one) including shapeshifting, Nodefinding, and even the ability to make small
skips through time.
4. The fourth strand in the energy of thought. This is the strand used by truthreaders who read the minds and thoughts of men. The energy of the fourth strand can be harnessed and channeled to produce powerful physical effects, from bolts of flame to concussive explosions of force. The fourth strand is used in compulsion patterns, which force a person to do things against their will. It is also the strand used in crafting illusions.
5. The fifth strand is the most powerful of all, for it compels the elements themselves. Those Adepts who work the fifth strand have been known to turn air to sand, water to wine, or even raise a castle, fully formed, from the bedrock of the mountain. The fifth strand is also the most dangerous to work, for it skirts a precarious line of cause and consequence.
Here’s one more reminder of what you have to do and what you can win:
- The most compelling character name and back story wins a $100 Amazon gift card AND a feature of your character in book #3 of the Pattern of Shadow and Light series
- The coolest new magical ability wins a Kindle Fire
- Enter as many times as you’d like in either category by posting a comment below
Post your entries in the comments box below. The winner will be announced at 5 PM EDT on Saturday, January 5th.
Don’t forget to drop by the main tour page to see what’s going on and to learn even more about Cephrael’s Hand.